Monday, June 1, 2015

June Creative Journey Challenge

This year I have done most of my posting on my Facebook page as it has been the quick easy and sane thing for me to do. I always feel like the images I post to my blog should be high quality, edited and watermarked and so, more often than not, if I dd not have time to do all of those steps I simply would not post. For some reason, Facebook has seemed more casual. Like a conversation with friends and uploading a quick pic taken with my phone of a work in progress seemed like an ok thing to do. It has allowed me to share and post more freely and I've had to ask myself: Could I blog this way too?

This Month I have launched a daily: June Creative Journey Challenge. I feel that I would, be quite strange not to share this adventure on my blog and so, for those of you who follow me here I have decided to share my posts in the relaxed Facebook conversation style. I would love for you to join me by commenting either on the blog or which ever is your preferred format. 

Here is the Introductory post:


-June Creative Journey-



***Long post but, you can skip to the end for a little summary***

I’ve been hinting at having something up my sleeve since reading the book Creative Thursday by Marisa Anne Cummings, and now I dish! I am throwing down the gauntlet and inviting you to join me in taking on some form of daily creative practice for the next 30 days. 
I am leaving the details of the challenge wide open as, heaven forbid, I try to define what is and is not creative. I just ask that you consider what creative act can you add to your everyday? If you are already practicing a specific art form, or working in any creative outlet (or pining to), can you set aside a small moment in the day to touch on it? And if life feels so overwhelming right now that you can’t even imagine adding to it, is there a way that you could inject more creativity into tasks you are already doing regularly? (In desperation for a creative outlet a few years ago, I found myself doodling on the paper napkins I sent in the kids lunch boxes!)

Now, why am I doing this? 
There are a few reasons: 
  1. Most pragmatically, I am participating in the Whyte Avenue Art walk on the weekend of July 10th and have realized that all my best pieces are now spoken for so, I need to start seriously producing more work. (Having a booth full of art with sold stickers on the work does not sound like a recipe for success)
  2. Bluntly, I’ve come to realize this year that, having a creative outlet is literally my sanity. I need to create as much as I need to eat and sleep to be a productive member of this little world.
  3. Inertia! Once I can actually get myself into the zone, I love creating, I easily loose track of time and it can be very meditative. This being said, there is always an intense resistance to beginning to create. Part of it is just life pulling you every which way and making it feel impossible to just start a project. The largest part though, happens in between your own ears. I’ve found, the longer I go between creative sessions, the harder it is to start again, the more self-doubt I have to conquer, the more effort it takes to tap into my creative well. I’m hoping that establishing a daily practice will help keep me in this creative flow and make the whole process more fruitful for me.


Why am I sharing this challenge publicly?
  1. I know I am not alone. I know many of my friends once did some form of creative endeavour and long to return it. Some are working on their art in fits and starts but, would really like to dedicate more quality time to it. Others still, feel that they don’t have a creative bone in their body but, so wish they could be “creative”. I feel that this challenge is accessible to all of the above and I will be adding some hints, tips and sources of inspiration along the road. 
  2. Accountability. I am not going to lie, I suck at routine. I really want to be good at establishing routine’s etc. but, it does not come naturally to me at all. I’m hoping that putting this challenge out there will help keep me on track for my goal.
  3. Everything is more fun when done together! So, please, join me on this adventure, share your work, your passion and your encouragement. Let’s make this world a more colourful, joyful and creative place! 

***Summary of my June Creative Journey Challenge***
N.B. Don’t worry if you can’t start with me on day one, it’s never too late to join the fun!

What I plan on doing for the next 30 days:
  • Do at least one thing related to my painting each day. (Though it could be a lot more because of my looming deadline)
  • Post a photo of what I create each day
  • Share any sources of creative inspiration I come across along the way.
  • Be transparent and share the ups and downs of the creative process with you. ( It ain’t all rainbows and unicorns!)
  • Encourage you on your personal creative journey.
What you can do:
  • Set a personal goal for the month and share it with me bellow. (Daily is awesome but, choose what makes sense for you)
  • Come share what you are working on here on my page.
  • Like and follow my page to receive daily updates.
  • Help keep me on track! (I give you full permission to pester me if I haven’t posted for a day or so)
I look forward to sharing this adventure with you!

P.S.  I have included a few of my very recent um...creations? Some days, doodling a bison in crayon with the kids is as good as it's going to get! wink emoticon




No comments: