Thursday, March 20, 2008

Birthday 'Convertible'

I am at my friend's place in Ottawa, Gabby is having a ball playing with her new little friend Daniel and well, when I said we had a lot of snow this year in Edmonton, I was wrong. I can't remember seeing so much snow at once in all my life and that includes after a crazy Quebec blizzard! There are literally 8ft drifts outside the house I am staying in! Anyways this will be an interesting Easter, definitely no outdoors egg hunt this year... I brought a whole pile of photos of older projects to post while I am away, and if I get a chance I will post anything I get to make out here. Things to watch out for in the next few weeks will be my update from the Montreal SU! regional seminar on March 29th and hopefully some 'Unfrogettable' birthday invitations.

On to my first card: This was a birthday card for my father in-law. I thought considering his personality the pick-up truck from the Loads of Love stamp set with a load of dogs in the back was suiting...Gabby (my nearly 2 year old) apparently disagreed. After having a lot of fun making this card and getting it just right, my sweet little one came along and made a quick 'edit' to the card...apparently her Grumpa (no typo there) needed a convertible not a pick up truck! I don't think I would have come up with this myself but if you tear off or omit the top bit of the trucks cab it actually make a nifty car!! I've found that with a toddler you really have to go with the flow and though that often means dealing with chaos occasionally you find a little treasure in the rubble!

Here is the recipe for this card:

  • Stamp sets: Loads of Love & Loads of Love Accessories
  • Paper: Blue Bayou, Wild Wasabi, Soft Sky, Pumpkin Pie, Whisper White, Blue Bayou DSP and retired SU! DSP
  • Ink: Basic Black, Wild Wasabi, Close to Cocoa, VersaMark
  • Tools & Accessories: 1-3/8 &1-1/2 circle punches, Crop-A-Dile, Jumbo Eyelets, Silver EP, Wild Wasabi Dbl Stitch Ribbon, Black stamp n' write marker, dimensionals.
I can't remember who I first saw using the jumbo eyelets as wheels on the truck but, I just thought it was brilliant! Cute, eh? The one thing I really wish I could go back and change is the road. At the time I just drew it in but it looks so flat and blech... I think it would have looked better if I had made another layer of torn paper or laid down a strip of black grosgrain ribbon, what do you think? I'll be back with something else soon, until then, Enjoy!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Scuh a fun card! Don't you just love when happy "accidents" happen??? ;)

jjcreations said...

Too cute Too cute....I love the way you used the jumbo brads for the tires....perfect!!! Joan

MichelleO said...

This is too cute, the accident really made this truck too cute! Great card!

Jean said...

Love the eyelets like that, such a cute card. He will love it.